Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 02:41 AM

Default Flop check 3-ways.

Not sure about this one. Still thinking about it. At a 5-handed table I feel like I've been missing flops and folding to checkraises and donkbets with hopeless hands a fair amount. Just not hitting. I'm ok with that but I'm working on a counterstrategy when I have position to mitigate the effect that checkraises can have against me.

Folded to me in the CO, I raise A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB, a slightly loose, somewhat aggressive player, calls. The BB, a 2+2er who plays with a very LAG style, calls as well.

The flop is 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB checks, BB checks, and I check.

Is this standard, good, bad, or not even worth mentioning?

Rob
Old 11-23-2005, 02:46 AM

Default Re: Flop check 3-ways.

I think a continuation bet would be standard here. Not sure why the table history you mentioned would make a check better, I tend to think the opposite.

/mc
Old 11-23-2005, 02:58 AM

Its interesting, because our bet has virturally no fold equity, and our chance to have the best hand by the showdown is almost completely determined by the turn card.

If these guys can fold a flop I bet, otherwise, I check it like you.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:18 AM

its a very good check in my opinion. i think there are better boards where this would be more debateable. twoplustwo loves auto continuating their bets but i think twoplustwo has alot to learn.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:03 AM

It's a relatively bad flop, however, the players' tendencies have to be taken into account here. If you feel they are likely to c/r the flop or donk the turn, then a check looks more appealing than if it were the other way around.

That aside, AJ without a heart is pretty close to a check, and I'm right around 50/50 for either decision. The extra effective out gained by having the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] may sway this to a bet.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:16 AM

against these players, it's my standard.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:50 AM

In a passive game, I bet this.

In an aggressive game, I check this as well as many other 3-way flops. However, you also need to check behind with top pair (when you don't fear overcards) or a set some of the time so that they can't read your check as 'he missed the flop, I will autobet the turn'.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
against these players, it's my standard.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-23-2005, 09:02 AM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
against most players , it's my standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-23-2005, 10:25 AM

I like a bet here, though by no means is it an 'easy bet.'

1. You don't need to be anywhere near a favorite to make betting correct; the pot is laying you 6:1.
2. Checking increases the chance you will fold the best hand on a later street.
3. You have the backdoor nut flush draw, which not only gives you an extra effective out, but decreases the chance you are facing a heart draw.

I understand how you may be gunshy after missing many flops and getting check-raised. Despite how it may seem, more often than not (especially multiway) when they check-raise you they have something, and you can't start getting paranoid that their game plan is to just give you fits. Keep applying the pressure.