Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 04:58 AM

Default When the villian checks the turn, raises the river

Super drawy board, however the villian is not aggro enough to cap a draw (he's actually a little passive) I've been running into these turn check/river raise plays a lot, with hands like this one should I be looking to put in that value bet on the river when I'm not too confident with my hand?

Thanks

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls, CO calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

River: (7.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB
Old 07-08-2005, 05:13 AM

Default Re: When the villian checks the turn, raises the river

Looks like the ever-so-retarded "cap for a free card" play.

I might check the river to induce a bluff, as it really does seem like he's on the flush draw when he checks the turn, and I really want to see a showdown.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:14 AM

if he doesn't cap a draw, why aren't we betting the turn?

if you felt your TPTK was good enough to 3-bet the flop (i.e. you don't have him on 45), then the 4 couldn't have helped him all that much (i'm assuming he wouldn't cap a gutshot w/ a 5), so why don't we bet the turn and give him a chance to fold his smaller Ace? if he raises the turn, well, then we may be looking at 2-pair or a set.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like the ever-so-retarded "cap for a free card" play.

I might check the river to induce a bluff, as it really does seem like he's on the flush draw when he checks the turn, and I really want to see a showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-08-2005, 08:49 AM

I'd check/call the river as well as the turn, other than that I play it the same. On the flop I would put him on a weaker ace until he capped, at which point I'd have to give him credit for something better than that, unless he's the type to cap a flush draw, which you say he isn't.