Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2003, 04:48 PM

Default Does this make any sense?

First time ive ever tried to describe a hand so bare with me.
8 players 3/6 7 stud.

I have split Kings and am immediately to the left of the bring in. There is an ace out so with only one over card showing i raise to drive players out. I get a call from a Jack to my immediate left. The ace reraises and the bring in calls the double bet with a 4.

Now i have been watching this game and playing with these guys for a while and frankly the guy with the ace is a lunatic. He raises every hand and CALLS when he has aces!!!
The other two should know better, but i really didnt feel they had trips.

With this knowledge i laugh to myself and reraise it again - all of them call.

4th is seemingly a blank for everyone, considering myself in the lead, i bet they all call.
5th i get a third king - blanks for the rest. I bet the jack folds, and to cut a long story short the others call til the end where i win with trips - nice!!

Now after the game the jack says to me i knew you had trips on 5th. So i asked him, if he knew that then why takes his jacks against my kings?

His reply was that it was because there were two other players in!! This isnt right is it? He must be talking about getting better pot odds, but if anything it detracts from his chances having 2 two other players in.just as it does for me.

I only ask cos i thought him a pretty solid player........opinion my change now though.
Old 08-23-2003, 05:00 PM

Default It makes a lot of sense!

When people chase they add value to the hand in the lead, namely you, and whoever has the best draw, the Jack. This usually happens when three or four fish call an aggressor who has the goods. It is called schooling. Their collective poor play in calling gives them all good implied odds. The Jack's play was okay if he knew, he was best draw and the Ace was nothing. Moreover, he correctly bailed out when you made trips. He deserves credit. Avoid him if you can.
Old 08-23-2003, 05:17 PM

Default Re: It makes a lot of sense!

If he knew what he was doing, he would have folded the jacks on 3, figuring it was going to cost him 2-3 bets to play it. Once it was 2 cold back to him, he should just fold.

Do not play a 3-6 game with the intention of avoiding certain players. One should be trying to learn and move up, not eek out some pennies.

Dan Z.
Old 08-23-2003, 05:54 PM

If it had of been me id have folded on third as well - never take a lower pair against a higher pair unless you have the element of surprise with them hidden, says Roy West. Plus for two bets cold!!

I would argue about implied odds (no element of surprise just like mine) as i would have folded if anyone paired their door - but mind you the others called me regardless.

I will play this character til the cows come home!!!
Old 08-23-2003, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His reply was that it was because there were two other players in!! This isnt right is it? He must be talking about getting better pot odds, but if anything it detracts from his chances having 2 two other players in.just as it does for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are two things going on: 1) with more players your chances of winning go down, and 2) with more players the pot odds go up. Which one has more impact depends on the hand.