Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2004, 12:33 PM

Default How bad was this?

The following hand came up and I didn't hear the end of it for about an hour.

I apoligize, I didn't catch the hand history from Party, I'll have to post from memory.

EP seemed a little loose, and LP seemed solid.

I had been at this .50/1 table for about 3 or 4 orbits. The table was full and, for the most part, was very loose. I had not seen much of anything playable for a couple of orbits when I saw 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in MP. 1 limper to me, I limped. LP raised, SB and BB both call, EP calls and I call.

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Checked to EP who bets, I raise, LP 3-bets, SB folds, BB calls, EP calls, I call.

Turn: J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB checks, EP bets, I call (at this point, I'm figuring the pot is too big to get out), LP raises, BB folds, EP calls, I call.

River: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

EP checks, I check, LP bets, EP calls, I raise, LP calls, EP calls.

EP shows AJ, and LP shows AT.

I realize that I sucked out pretty bad, but EP went on and on about how bad a play that was. I didn't really say much.

Being fairly new at this, I am curios to know others opinion on the play. Was the pot big enough to stick around, or was I just a lucky idiot?

Thanks for your comments.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:44 PM

Default Re: How bad was this?

I think you should have folded pf. Since you called, I think you should have folded to the first flop bet. Since you called, I think you should have folded to the first turn bet. The pot is nice but with all of the action so far it seems unlikely that your two pair would be good even if you caught a nine.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:47 PM

Agree for the most part chief, but I think he can call the flop bet. Big pot + pair + backdoor flush = I'm not folding for one SB.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:48 PM

Think I'd muck this with only 1 limper to me pre-flop, especially if the players behind you raise with any frequency.

I'm just calling the flop then folding the turn unless I hit a 7,9, or diamond draw. You only have 5 outs going into the river (if you didn't raise the flop the pot would only have 9 bb's in it on the turn when it gets to you) and there's a very good chance LP will make it two bets to go since he raised the flop. You also can't really count on your 9's as outs since there's a decent chance of a higher two-pair being out already.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:51 PM

I'd have a tough time calling pf with those cards even against a very loose table. I think calling on the flop would have been ok, but I don't like the raise. The turn is an obvious fold. Once you hit the river I like the raise. Nice catch!
Old 06-25-2004, 12:51 PM

Chief, what's your reasoning on a flop fold?
Old 06-25-2004, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agree for the most part chief, but I think he can call the flop bet. Big pot + pair + backdoor flush = I'm not folding for one SB.

[/ QUOTE ]
The reason I don't like the flop call is that there are a lot of people left to act behind him including the pf raiser. Pretty much the same deal on the turn. Marginal calls quickly become -EV when you don't properly anticipate the action of the players remaining to act.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:56 PM

As stated in my reply to tech, it's barely a +EV play looking at the odds (about 11:1) at that point assuming your outs are all good and there will be no raise behind you. These are pretty big assumptions considering there is an A and Q on the board and the pf raiser is acting behind you. I don't like a flop call here. I like a flop raise less.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:57 PM

Hey nolefan21:

What was your reasoning for raising the flop?

--Rico
Old 06-25-2004, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The reason I don't like the flop call is that there are a lot of people left to act behind him including the pf raiser. Pretty much the same deal on the turn. Marginal calls quickly become -EV when you don't properly anticipate the action of the players remaining to act.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only problem with your analysis is he raised on the flop and it was 3-bet behind him, then he called the extra bet to close the action.

I think he shouldve folded to the flop raise also though.