Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Top set on scary board in NL 25

Hey everyone, long-time lurker first time (kind of) time poster. I'm a small-stakes limit player who just switched over to SSNL, and I've run into a few difficult situations. This is one of them.

The Villain in this is a tight solid player.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

SB ($23.05)
BB ($21.55)
Hero ($25.35)
UTG+1 ($27.34)
UTG+2 ($33.7)
MP1 ($3.4)
MP2 ($61.25)
MP3 ($12.4)
CO ($25)
Button ($17.15)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.1. CO posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.75</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.75, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO (poster) calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) calls $0.65, BB calls $0.50.

Flop: ($3.75) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, UTG+1 folds, CO folds, SB calls $3, BB folds.

Turn: ($9.75) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $9</font>, SB calls $19.30 (All-In), Hero calls $10.30.

River: ($48.35) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $48.35

How could I have played this differently? How would any of you played this differently...less aggressive? More aggressive? Would you have bet the turn or check called? Could I have honestly laid it down for another 10? I was getting the right odds to call his all-in on the turn(even if he does have a flush on the turn, I am getting 3.8 to 1 to call with 3.6 to 1 odds of making a boat).

Thanks,
Zach
Old 05-24-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Top set on scary board in NL 25

preflop, i wouldn't raise tens UTG. in full loose games, its gonna be too much of a hassle to play OOP against more than one caller with any overcard on the flop, when you'll see these players call an UTG raise with a variety of hands.

flop's fine.

turn's fine.

[ QUOTE ]
Could I have honestly laid it down for another 10? I was getting the right odds to call his all-in on the turn(even if he does have a flush on the turn, I am getting 3.8 to 1 to call with 3.6 to 1 odds of making a boat).

[/ QUOTE ]

hah. you answered your own question, man.

3.69 to 1 for your money on that call. 3.6 to 1 on filling up. he can show you the nut flush and you can call him.

3.6(-$10.30) + 1($38.05) = +$0.97 per play

you have +EV if he holds "worst case scenario" cards. and sometimes, he won't. you can't even think about laying that down for another 10, and you know that.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:10 PM

He had JsJh and caught the flush on the river:P

Is not raising UTG with TT to protect from reraises? I like to raise with TT and JJ in any position to get rid of the blinds. Also, it was a fairly tight game (a couple times the blinds folded around)...at least for NL 25.

Z
Old 05-24-2005, 02:34 PM

Flop bet is fine. I'd make it $4, though.

On the turn, it looks like he hit his straight (holding 78). I think you made a good call (given the pot odds). I don't think he has a flush (yet). If he had a flush on the flop, I think he would/should have reraised you then. A spade on the turn would've killed his action.

If he caught a flush on the river (with just one spade in his hand), that's poker. I think you played it correctly.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:43 PM

Thanks for the input.

If he reraised on the flush should I call it and check/call to the river? Is there any situation where I would fold top set?
Old 05-24-2005, 02:48 PM

I wouldn't raise TT at all in a game like this, unless it was folded to me cutoff or button. And especially not 3x.

Reason is that even in a tight game, people are drawn to small raises at $25NL, and you're just juicing the pot for whichever overcard flops. Plus, you negate your intention of pushing out the blinds when several people call your raise.

The rest seems perfect.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he reraised on the flush should I call it and check/call to the river? Is there any situation where I would fold top set?

[/ QUOTE ]
Like everything else, it depends. I was in a hand where I knew the guy flopped a straight. I had a set. He pushed all-in. I was getting such good pot odds that I had to call. My hand did not improve and I lost my stack. I later checked the numbers to verify that it was definitely a call for me. It made me feel better knowing that I made the right move.

I simulated some hands. Depending on what the pot is laying you, you can determine which situations are callable:
you: [Ks Kd]
villain: [Ah 6h]
top set (75%) vs. flush draw on the flop [7h 2h Kc]
top set (22%) vs. made flush on the turn [7h 2h Kc][3h]
top set (34%) vs. made flush on the flop [7h 2h Kh]
Old 05-25-2005, 01:06 PM

often someone with nut flush on flop will go into extreme slowplay mode - if you have a set and fill up you can usually take his stack off him