Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2004, 09:44 PM

Location: A nice little white house with a garden of roses. Will return to my Crawford ranch in 5 years after my Second Term. Vote for me on November 2nd. Wish me luck.
Default I Urge Kerry to Say Yes-Or-No on Iraq

Bush Urges Kerry to Say Yes-Or-No on Iraq

Will Kerry give an answer?

What will that answer be?
Old 08-07-2004, 06:48 AM

Default Re: I Urge Kerry to Say Yes-Or-No on Iraq

[ QUOTE ]
Bush Urges Kerry to Say Yes-Or-No on Iraq

Will Kerry give an answer?

What will that answer be?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is unfair to expect Kerry to have specific opinions on such things. He is the anti-Bush. If he has his own opinions, it diminishes his standing as the anti-Bush, and that's not fair to him.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:40 AM

He has a "secret plan" to end the war in Iraq but he won't divulge it because it will hurt our war effort. Where have we heard that before? I've got a new way to spell Kerry,

N I X O N
Old 08-07-2004, 08:51 AM

Why should Bush expect Kerry to tell the truth about what he would do in Iraq? He got us in there on a false premise and now he demands the truth?

The impact of the war doesn't hit home until someone from your town is killed. I didn't know him but this 30 year old Marine just got killed. He leaves a young wife and 2 year old son. Iraq has their government in place now, it's time to get the hell out. Keep the no fly zones with the Air Force patrols as long as necessary but let's get the troops out of harms way. Enough is enough!
Old 08-07-2004, 09:54 AM

The death toll has been incredibly light for the US military.

To compare, in the last year and a half how many people in your area died from homicides, car accidents, disease, alcohal, etc.?
Old 08-07-2004, 10:31 AM

Default Re: US casualties vs. the enemy combatants

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful Utah, you're inviting criticism for being insensitive to the lives of US soldiers! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] This is the likely reason that what you said is not said very often by conservative leaders: They'd get hammered by the press and by liberals.

But here in these forums we shouldn't worry about such unfounded criticisms, should we? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] We can point out that before Operation Iraqi Freedom began, there were predictions of between 5,000 and 30,000 total US casualties. U.S. combat losses are statistically insignificant compared to the amount of operations and ground troops deployed during this operation. (I'm sure that sentence will get quoted and distorted) Not to mention the ratio of US casualties vs. the enemy combatants. (Here's where I get flames about how many innocent civilians were killed in collateral damage)

Here are some statistics that can put the OIF casualties in perspective:

<ul type="square">[*]Revolutionary War (1775-1783) 4,435 [*]War of 1812 (1812-1815) 2,260 [*]Mexican War (1846-1848) 13,283 [*]Civil War (1861-1865) 623,026 [*]Spanish-American War (1898) 2,446 [*]World War I (1917-1918) 116,708 [*]World War II (1941-1945) 407,316 [*]Korean War (1950-1953) 36,914 [*]Vietnam War (1964-1973) 58,169[*]Persian Gulf War (1991) 269 [/list]

Ten
Old 08-07-2004, 10:35 AM

I thought this was an interesting graph:

Old 08-07-2004, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

To compare, in the last year and a half how many people in your area died from homicides, car accidents, disease, alcohal, etc.?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell this to their loved ones.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:41 AM

Sure. Say the same thing to the loved ones of someone who died in a traffic accident or in a homicide.

If we are so concerned with people dying then would you support lowering the national speed limit to 25? Think - we can save hundreds of thosands of american lives over the next decades.

The fact is that we all make tradeoffs for death. Its a part of life. Again, the death toll is extremely low in Iraq by about standard.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell this to their loved ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, I told you you wouldn't get away with that Utah. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ten

p.s. (This ain't the end of it, and is mild compared to what you're bound to hear)