Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2004, 11:24 AM

Default any point in betting this river

This is from Ukbetting poker and generated a discussion between 3 of us as to what i should have done on the River

My opponent is Ken who i know is tight and a good player,i chat to him when we play as the 1st time i played him he was reaaly tight,plays 3 -4 tables.And Ken knows that i know he is tight as i took the mickey out of him for it 1st time we played

2-4£ 9 handed.i am in the button with QQ ,1 EP limper,folded around to ken CO who 2 bets ,i 3bet,EP calls,Ken caps,we call
Now i was defo thinking AA or KK, he wouldnt cap with much else

Flop J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Blank
Ep checks,Ken bets ,i call ,Ep folds

Turn: Blank
Ken bets ,i call

river:blank
Ken checks! Now i thought only for a split second about betting but i checked ,i just couldnt think of him having anything other than AA,KK, basically the check caught me off guard,

Anyway he had AK [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Then a player came in saying i shouldve bet after Ken checked,i agreed and said i felt like a chicked for checking thru.
But Ken says that there was no point betting on the riv hoping for the chance that he had TT or 99,basically a bet wouldve been a waste of money in that situation,what he said made sense and i changed my mind.The other player was adamant that i shoulve bet though

Is Ken right here? I am defo leaning to his way of thinking on this,this discussion went on for a while between us ,the 2 make good points,but Ken makes the most sense
Old 09-17-2004, 11:31 AM

Default Re: any point in betting this river

Would he cap pre-flop w/ TT or 99? It doesn't sound like it.

Since Ken seems like a reasonably tight and thinking player, I don't see much value in a river bet. He's most likely folding his overcards, but he's certainly not folding a better hand. (If you think he would call a bet with overcards then you might need to re-think, but from your description I doubt that's the case.)

Think about it this way: If you bet the river and he calls, what do you think your chances of having the best hand are?
Old 09-17-2004, 11:39 AM

It sounds like you respect Ken as a solid player. In that case, it's hard to imagine that he'll call your river bet unless he's got you beaten. If that's the case, betting the river has very near 0 EV.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you bet the river and he calls, what do you think your chances of having the best hand are

[/ QUOTE ]
yes exactly,ken would not cap with 99 or TT ,i was suprised when he showed AKs,he completley overplayed it unless he thought that i maybe thought he was on some kind of steal,but that wouldnt make sense to keep pumping his AK post flop
Old 09-17-2004, 12:02 PM

When he checks the river, A-Ks should be your number one read, followed by Ken getting tricky with A-A, K-K or some type of J.

If Ken is honestly saying that he is never going to call you with A-K here, and that he would never cap preflop with 9-9 or 10-10, then I guess there is no point in betting it. Many other players will call with A-K here though (or worse).