Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2004, 12:55 PM

Default A,Jo

Hello. Just got eliminated from a TP $30+3 SNG NL Holdem. Got busted out with A,Jo. It's the 2nd hand of torunament and I still have all of my chips. Stacks sizes are about even except for one guy who has $1200. Avg stack is $785. Blinds are $7/$15. I have no reads on anyone except for one person who tends to chase a lot of his gutshots. My failure to abhor to this read proved very disastrous.

I'm dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in MP. EP1 calls $15 and I raise to $80. 4 people call and 4 people fold.

Pot size:$415. Flop comes 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I have hit my ace and I bet $215. I get two callers

Pot size:$1060. Turn comes the 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I'm pretty sure that nobody would call a preflop raise with a 4 or a hand like 6,4, so I go all in. Both remaining players call. One of them turns over Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], and the chaser turns over 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for the turned nut straight.

Question

1. Was this outcome avoidable, if so, plz tell me how I could've avoided it.

2.Should I have bet more on the flop to scare off the chaser? How much would've been a good flop bet?

3.Do I just muck this hand PF so this situation never occurs?

All comments welcome.Be as stern as you want [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2004, 01:38 PM

Default Re: A,Jo

[ QUOTE ]
Hello. Just got eliminated from a TP $30+3 SNG NL Holdem. Got busted out with A,Jo. It's the 2nd hand of torunament and I still have all of my chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I would muck AJo in MP in the second hand of the tourny. I prefer to try and get a read on players before playing marginal hands.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in MP. EP1 calls $15 and I raise to $80. 4 people call and 4 people fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

This does not make me feel good. I like the raise amount, but four callers scares me. I would proceed with caution.

[ QUOTE ]
Pot size:$415. Flop comes 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I have hit my ace and I bet $215. I get two callers

[/ QUOTE ]

You hit TPGK. Obviously AK, AQ's gotcha. There is a straight draw on the board, and someone could easily have a set or two pair (in low-limit buyins people love to play A-2 or A-3).

I would either check or bet the pot. By underbetting you've encouraged Mr. Q-3 to chase (even though he is still not correct to call), and let your draw-chaser lay T215 on a pot of T845. Thems good odds.

[ QUOTE ]
Pot size:$1060. Turn comes the 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I'm pretty sure that nobody would call a preflop raise with a 4 or a hand like 6,4, so I go all in. Both remaining players call. One of them turns over Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], and the chaser turns over 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for the turned nut straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why push? You have represented AK or AQ the entire hand with your pre-flop raise and your flop bet. It's too late to protect your top-pair. No one would call a reasonable bet I'd check it around or take a stab at the pot, and fold to a raise.

My two cents.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:42 PM

Just a question: How is bettin $215 into a $415 pot "underbetting"
Old 07-13-2004, 01:46 PM

As I understand it, any bet under tha pot size is underbetting. So any amt under $415 in a $415 pot. I suppose $400 wouldn't be a big deal though. Correct me if I'm wrong, poker gods.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just a question: How is bettin $215 into a $415 pot "underbetting"

[/ QUOTE ]

If any player is on a draw, you are giving them pot odds to chase, especially with three players (including yourself).
Old 07-13-2004, 02:05 PM

Oh ok, I see now what you mean.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:18 PM

Just by reading this post, I'd really suggest that you buy Tournament Poker for Advanced Players and read over some of the general concepts. It all doesnt directly apply to a sit and go, or even directly to multi tables online, but it will help you out considerably conceptually.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:32 PM

I already have Super Systems and HPFAP, but which should I get next, TOP of TPFAP?
Old 07-13-2004, 02:41 PM

kudos to the kid that had the balls of steel to hang on to 4 -6 to a 5 x's BB raise .. thats just a tough one. but the 4 callers is a scary thought, i woulda checked and laid down to a bet. as a previous poster said, many people play A2 A3 in early rounds because it is still cheap to do so. In that case, you are beat by 2 pr, nevertheless 4-6.

tough one, but the all in wasn't needed. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2004, 02:45 PM

They're both good books and required reading if you play SnGs.

I'm going to lean towards TOP since it covers such a large range of poker concepts such as implied odds, reverse implied odds, semi-bluffing, free cards - giving and receiving, etc..and so much more.

Once you're done with that and can afford TPFAP definitely buy it. Oh yeah, and don't play AJo - it's a bad bad hand unless you're shorthanded or everyone folded to you on the button.