Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2004, 09:01 AM

Default Betting Draws From Early Position

Two hands from Paradise $0.5/1 last night got me thinking about this.

First was 10-7o in the BB. 3 limpers and I check. Flop was [K-9-8]. I bet, UTG and CO called. Turn was a 6. I checked, UTG bet, CO called, I check-raised. All call. River was a 9, I bet, UTG called. I'm good. That went about as well as could be expected.

Second was somewhat similar. 6-5o in BB again. 5 limpers this time and I check. Flop is [Q-4-3]. SB checked, I bet, UTG raised, all folded to me. Boo. I called and missed on turn and river. I this situation, a check from me and a UTG bet then might attract a few callers at which point I can raise.

So I really got to thinking WHY was I almost auto-betting these hands from the blinds with a favorable flop. And you know what, I couldn't come up with a satisfactory answer. Can anyone else?
Old 02-11-2004, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Betting Draws From Early Position

Cuz you dont want to see it checked through, cuz you might be able to win unimproved, cuz you sometimes can 3Bet for value.
I dont think autobetting is right either, but often it is.
So when wouldnt it be. Well when you have a good feeling about were a possible bet would come from and you dont wanna give him the chance to make the field call two.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:52 AM

I struggle with this too, but I think Trix is right. In general it is probably correct to bet out at these traditionally loose passive tables. You got unlucky in the second hand, but unless you KNEW that the guy on your left would raise you then you should bet.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:00 PM

Autobetting these is wrong but autochecking is worse. There are alot of good reasons to bet: you don't want it to get checked through, you give yourself another chance of winning the hand by betting, you only need a few callers to make this a value bet, etc(I'm sure you know all this and other reasons). The only good reason to check is if you have reason to think someone acting right after you is going to bet and unless you're against a maniac or someone raised preflop you can't really know that kind of info(online especially).

So, if you are going to autoanything then autobet I think.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:41 PM

Second was somewhat similar. 6-5o in BB again. 5 limpers this time and I check. Flop is [Q-4-3]. SB checked, I bet, UTG raised, all folded to me. Boo. I called and missed on turn and river. I this situation, a check from me and a UTG bet then might attract a few callers at which point I can raise.

So I really got to thinking WHY was I almost auto-betting these hands from the blinds with a favorable flop. And you know what, I couldn't come up with a satisfactory answer. Can anyone else?

With this action, you might now win by spiking a five or six.