Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2004, 08:04 AM

Default I love SSH but...

....theres one thing that I don't believe is in there or I'm just not getting (probably the latter)

SSH tells you to raise to protect your hand - but I always have a problem what to do when the original bettor 3-bets you and now I see this a lot and do not know the best action.

I suppose it comes down to the bettors standards - If aggressive rerasie? If Passive, fold if you do not have odds to draw to an improved hand?

Heres an exmaple ( It may not be perfect as I think the pot is a bit small on the flop)

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, Button calls.

<font color="blue"> Call planning to check/fold turn unimproved. Probably up against a flushdraw or stronger jack </font>

Turn: (9 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds, UTG+1 calls, Button folds.

River: (11 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB

Any help on this subject?

StuR
Old 09-14-2004, 08:25 AM

Default Re: I love SSH but...

I think you played this okay. The reraise is unfortunate, but now the pot is much bigger it is worth throwing in one more small bet. Turn seems okay, it's hard to defend even a semibluff with your hand with no redraws.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:31 AM

You played this great, what are you upset about? You raised to protect your hand, and through the raise you found out valuable information - that your hand probably isn't good. You laid it down on the turn, saving yourself two big bets. Nice hand.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:03 PM

bump for the afternoon crew
Old 09-14-2004, 04:27 PM

I tend to argue Ed's definition of when a pot is big just a bit... 6-handed unraised pre-flop is 6 SB, that doesn't seem like a whole lot of incentive. 8 SB I think is worth protecting. Either way, I think you played it right. You've got top pair, so raise to protect it.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:53 AM

Maybe posting htis question with that hand was an error - I just really wanted to concentrate on the questiona t the top of the post - not particularly that hand.

Altought SSH is great the "raising to protect your hand" almost always work - it says little about how to handle a 3-bet and I was just asking for opinions.

StuR