Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 02:10 AM

Default Hand, ansky451 especially

Hopefully you did not read my latest post in my other thread. Even if you did, can you tell me if I made the correct move here?
Since the bubble, people have been playing very tight. I've stolen blinds with everthing from 2-7o to pocket Queens twice in a row (they folded to the minimum raise I'd make with queens, 3x big blinds, and then when I got 10s they folded to the same raise)

They've been tight, but I don't really know what they would raise with, or rather, NOT raise with. If they raised pre-flop, I'd have to put them on AK, KK, QQ, AA, judging by the way it's been played for the last 30 minutes. However, there are no raises pre-flop this hand.

What is your recommendation for correct move:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1200 (6 handed) converter

SB (t11660)
BB (t5575)
UTG (t7212)
Hero (t11675)
CO (t18280)
Button (t13098)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls t1200, Hero calls t1200, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t4575) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t2400</font>, BB calls t2400, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t5937</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero...?</font>
Old 07-05-2005, 08:02 AM

Default Re: Hand, ansky451 especially

correct play is to go broke if they have you beat
Old 07-05-2005, 09:24 AM

There is only one possible reason that limping this PF is close to correct, and that is if you put UTG exactly on one or two hands (guess which two). If he is limping trash regularly, push or fold.

OK, you limped anyway: you have a set with lots of action in front on a drawy board, easiest push ever.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:51 AM

Heh. Im honored. I guess you appreciated my harshness.
I would either push or fold preflop- I dont like limping 1/10th of my stack. For the way it played out, you should go broke if you are beat here about 99.9% of the time. The other .1% the other guy will have told you he has kk. You would not lose money if you never folded sets on friendly boards like this. Push.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:01 AM

I dont like the limp, but it worked.

This is the type of hand that you are supposed to lose your first born son on.

Honey.....uhhhh, Tom jr is going to be staying with Arkansas Jim for a while, dont worry, we have a Omaha 8 game coming up, and Jim gets confused with 4 cards...but baby....I flopped a set of 4s!!!!!!
Old 07-05-2005, 11:40 AM

ok...I did push and did lose to a set of queens. I was surprised because they didn't raise pre-flop. While I vary my raises and such in cash game and live game play, when it's a 2 hour tournament, I just don't think you get dealt pocket queens enough to limp with them. He did the opposite of what I would have done and got paid nicely.

So my push was correct.

But a pre-flop raise with pockets 4s also would have been correct? I have not read HOHII (which deals specifically with this stage of the tournament), but I don't recall any advice advocating doing something more than limping with 4s into an already occupied pot. Of course that may not apply to this shorthanded play.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:48 AM

If your stacks were deeper I would agree with the limp. But you barely have enough for the implied odds of a limp with a baby pair- especially considering it can still be raised behind you. A push here is designed just to take the blinds and antes, its not because 4s is a premium hand. You are just hoping he limped in with junk and can't call the all in.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If your stacks were deeper I would agree with the limp. But you barely have enough for the implied odds of a limp with a baby pair- especially considering it can still be raised behind you. A push here is designed just to take the blinds and antes, its not because 4s is a premium hand. You are just hoping he limped in with junk and can't call the all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

well said

and limping is for pu$@%$#
Old 07-05-2005, 12:09 PM

Ah.