Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 07:54 PM

Default advice you wished you knew

I am very new to hold em, I have played for a year now but only play money online and about 300 b&m hours with real money. My question to you more advanced players is what is something that you know now that you wished someone had told you when you began this crazy journey. I believe I am on the right track, I have read alot of books and stay disciplined when playing but I believe value can be added by learning from others mistakes, so please share and maybe you can help one of us "nubes" out...tyvm
Old 08-04-2005, 08:08 PM

Default Re: advice you wished you knew

Good question. I'm not much more experienced than you but I'll offer three things:

1. If playing online, set up rakeback and max your bonus!
2. It's easier than you think to start playing loose preflop because you've forgotten the details of what you should play.
3. No matter how many times you hear about variance, it will frighten you the first time (err, first several times) you hit a downswing. Don't let that convince you that you can't beat a game.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:58 PM

Don't waste your bankroll on things you don't need or you'll be playing $1/2 forever. Get a job (part-time preferably) and use this to pay all your bills. Live like yoda and then watch your bankroll grow.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:38 AM

-> If you get a HUD (heads up display) software package like Poker Edge or Poker Tracker with GT+, don't get carried away! Play your normal game rather than let your every move be dictated by the stats, because you'll find yourself bluffing too much and calling too much if you don't take a measured approach to their use. Even the loosest, most aggressive players get a hand sometimes.

-> If you're looking to sign up to a new poker site, look for a good rakeback deal or hot bonus code BEFORE you sign up. Once you're signed up you can't then go back and decide to pick up a rakeback deal.

-> When you're reading poker advice, make sure its for the game you are playing! It can be hard to tell Limit Hold 'Em from No-Limit Hold 'Em advice, but the games are very different.

-> Post hand histories on here (in the strategy forums) if you're unsure if you played a hand well, or whether it was bad play or a bad beat. Ignore the donks who say "fold preflop" if you post a hand history with anything other than a "top ten starting hand".