Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2004, 02:34 PM

Default Flopped set (77) - take it down on turn or river?

Calling the preflop raise was questionable, but hey, it's Party and CO had a $25 stack. No great read on CO but haven't seen much action from him, so assuming I'm looking at JJ,QQ, maybe AK since he didn't reraise my flop raise.

The board scared me hence the pot size bet on the turn. Who would have tried to get cute here and take it to the river?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed)

BB ($43.95)
UTG ($15)
UTG+1 ($32.25)
MP1 ($11.76)
MP2 ($22.07)
Hero ($28.70)
CO ($23.75)
Button ($20.52)
SB ($36.87)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Hero calls $0.50, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to $2</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls $1.50.

Flop: ($4.75) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets $3</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, CO calls $3.

Turn: ($16.75) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, CO folds.

Final Pot: $31.75

Results in white below: <font color="white">
No showdown. Hero wins $31.75. </font>
Old 08-02-2004, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Flopped set (77) - take it down on turn or river?

$8 on the turn would have been fine, betting the pot is just going to scare him out :/
Old 08-02-2004, 02:54 PM

Calling the pf raise was in no way questionable here.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:56 PM

i think calling the raise preflop was standard. he has enough that he can pay you off well if you hit.

i'd have bet the flop. you're hoping at this point that he has an overpair, so betting into him gives him the chance to raise. given that you check-raised, i'd have check-raised a little more. maybe up to 8 or so.

why did the board scare you? about the only thing scary about that board is a 4 falling and giving any A a wheel. i would actually consider checking the turn - you might get to c/r again, and it's very unlikely that a free card will hurt you here. plus there's a chance that he'll hit a pair and will pay you off on the river.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:23 PM

I agree. I think the preflop call was standard. If you hit, like you did, then you we going to get payed off well. I think a check call on the flop would have worked then possibly continuing the slow play through the turn with a check raise. There isnt anythign threatening on this board that would justify his preflop raise. I see you having the virtual nuts so your only worry would be on how to extract the most money from him. I think the raise on the turn was a little much though.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:58 PM

Given the pot/stack ratios, I'm either betting the pot size into him on flop, or check-raising allin. They're the best way to get paid off by hands I bury here. It is also good balance for when I'm making these plays with worse hands. On these ratios, top pair or better + draws will generally be coming along for the ride given the situation.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:41 PM

Check raising the flop and betting the pot on the turn scares the hell out of me if I'm up against you with TPTK; and I'm not really going to be happy about it with just an overpair.

I might have called the flop, instead of check raised; but definitely check or under bet the pot on the turn. You didn't want him to fold did you?

Considering that he was a late raiser in an unraised PF pot, he could just be on a steal. I'd prefer to give him a chance to put more money in here.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:55 PM

You're hand is pretty much a lock with this board. Only a four can hurt you, and if he has an overpair and miracles his 2-outer on the river, well then you're just going to have to pay him off.

If you think he has an overpair, then go ahead and bet into him on the flop, and re-raise all in when he raises. Otherwise, slowplay this one all the way to the river. Check, call, check, call, and then move in on the river.

If it checks around on the turn and an A or K falls on the river, you can check and figure he will bet. If another rag falls, go ahead and bet and hope he has something... anything... to call with.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:59 PM

I don't see anything wrong with calling the minraise preflop. Your implied odds are great considering the stack sizes. You can either flop the set and make him pay hard, or get out relatively cheap.

Okay, you hit the set on a semicoordinated board, but not much that a preflop raiser would have. The only hands you'd have to worry about would be AK or AQ in diamonds for the 4 flush. He makes a significant bet on the flop, making me believe he's not on a draw, and you are way ahead to overcards or an overpair. I'm not really worried about giving the extra card, so I'd probably smooth call here and try to check/raise on the turn. If you insist on checkraising the flop, then please make the bet bigger than a minraise. Make the raise $9, that way he's further committed to the hand on the turn when you bet into him again.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:03 PM

I'm not sure I agree with the check/call all the way to the river. More often, this guy is going to be stuck with just overcards and you won't get paid off taking this line. The last thing you want is to check the river, and then have it get checked behind. I'd say your two bet lines to this play are check/call the flop followed by a turn checkraise, or a check/call flop, check/call turn, and bet in front on the river. He'll be confused by the stop n' go, and will probably read it as a bluff instead of a slowplayed monster.