Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2002, 07:24 AM

Default URGENT Omaha h/l help needed!

Im about to play in my first omaha h/l tournament and plan on getting into this game.

Can anyone give me some rough pointers to guide me through this adventure?

At the moment all I know is you should play few hands and they should have a chance to win hi and lo. Any other golden rules?

Also I plan on reading Ray Zees split games book - will any other literature be useful?

Big thanks all...
Old 05-15-2002, 08:18 AM

Default Re: URGENT Omaha h/l help needed!

Bob Ciaffone's Omaha book is great but mostly about high only. I still would recommend it even if you only played hi/lo.
Old 05-15-2002, 01:15 PM

Try to go for nut hands...don't start jamming if you make nut low since one third of the time you're gonna be quartered. Only play A2 if it has some high possibilities. Good luck!
Old 05-16-2002, 05:22 AM

"Also I plan on reading Ray Zees split games book - will any other literature be useful?"

Jack - Ray Zee's book is excellent. If you're not going to be playing 7-stud-8, just read the last half or the book for now, the part about Omaha-8. That will give you enough info regarding Omaha-8.

But playing Omaha-8 in a tournament is quite a bit different than playing Omaha-8 in a ring game. I played the first hour of the tournament today without making a bet, except to post the blinds. The second hour I only played one hand to the show-down. When I reached the final table (as the chip leader) I folded several hands the first round that I would have liked to play in a ring game. I think I finally played a hand or two and then there were four of us left and we were making a settlement, splitting up the money for the first four places on the basis of chip count.

I assume you already know how to play poker.

I'd recommend reading David Sklansky's new Tournament Poker book, although there is not much specifically about Omaha-8, for a general feeling of how to modify ring game play for tournaments.

There are other books that also would be well worthwhile, but there is only so much you can assimilate in the time you have available to prepare. I recommend concentrating on Zee's book but if you have any extra time, it would be well spent skimming through Sklansky's book on tournament strategy.

Just my opinion.

Buzz

Old 05-16-2002, 02:26 PM

Thanks guys!