Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2003, 01:09 PM

Default Big Blind leak

I have a general question regarding defending the blinds, specifically the big blind.

I think I have a tendancy to be over aggressive in my defense of my big blind w/ almost any two cards. Maybe not anything as poor as 72o, but hands as bad as Kxs or Qxs and the like....

I usually justify the call thinking things like, "i'm closing the action", "if this hits, I'll prob get paid off", etc...

The problem is, a lot of times this isn't a huge multi-way pot - I'll make the call w/ 2 or 3 callers for one extra bet...I find I'll make the proper fold in the small blind much easier or especially if it's back to me for more than one bet.

does anyone have any good guidlines, suggestions, or just in general do i need to tighten up? In general, I think I'm playing relatively tight and try to have pretty high standards for what I want to come in with - with the obvious notable exception of the blinds....
Old 12-09-2003, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Big Blind leak

Hey cruiser,

Two things that I take into account in situations such as this in the BB...

1) If I were in a position outside of the blinds, would I want to call two bets to see the flop? The rules make me put a blind in, but they don't make me put anything else in the middle. Forget about the 1/2 or 1 small bet in front of you and go from there.

2) Even if I do hit a hand, I don't have position on anybody except the SB at this time.

Basically the type of situation you describe is one in which varying your play and occasionally playing a hand like Kxs or such for one more bet is ok, just for the sake of not becoming totally predictable. Of course, if its a big multi-way pot, these hands can be played with a little more often yet. Its just a situational circumstance, and making this type of play occasionally, just to "mix it up a bit" is ok.
Old 12-09-2003, 02:14 PM

D-FENCE!
Old 12-09-2003, 05:13 PM

If I were in a position outside of the blinds, would I want to call two bets to see the flop? The rules make me put a blind in, but they don't make me put anything else in the middle. Forget about the 1/2 or 1 small bet in front of you and go from there.

This is not the correct way to think about playing from the blinds at all. The fact is that it is very often worth paying one more bet to see the flop with a hand that you wouldn't dream of calling two bets cold with. Obvious examples are small pairs, suited connectors, etc.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:05 PM

hi cruiser
as long as four people are in, and your call in the BB closes the action, you can call provided you play well post flop.

if an aggressive player is in there, however, you may want to opt out with anything less than Qxs or JTo. the problem is that an aggressives greatest strength is his ability to compell an otherwise solid player into making post flop decisions that are less than stellar; now, of course, if you are an expert against aggressive play, then you like the call from the BB with the Qxs and JTo if there is some reasonable chance to get heads-up. the only problem here though is the calling station type trapped between you and the aggressive. remember, from the BB, we tend not to call with lesser holdings when calling means trapping a calling station between you and the aggressive. you need to dryer buzz these.

dryer buzz.....you need to have a little mental buzzer go off that sounds like the buzzer on the clothers dryer when the clothes are done. it should go off everytime you're in the BB with an aggressive and calling station both in the hand. when you hear the "X", make QTs and AJo the minimum calling hand from the BB. against either the calling station or the aggressive, revert back to standard BB opening play.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:02 PM

thanks for the input...very insightful (as always).