Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 12:46 PM

Default ($11) 5\'s in BB nearing bubble

Please critique my thinking:

No particular reads, the whole table seemed solid, maybe a little on the conservative side. I’ve been showing only good cards recently (in the last orbit I had twice re-raised all-in in response to short stack all-ins and won both, showing pocket 9’s and AKs).

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (5 handed) converter

Hero (BB) (t2365)
UTG (t1030)
MP1 (t1150)
MP2 (t967)
Button (t2488)

Preflop: No SB. Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of t150.
UTG calls t150, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, UTG calls t450.

Flop: (t1200) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t500</font>

I had been hoping villain would fold to my raise – since he only called UTG, I put him on two broadway cards or A-small – but I had him covered and I was prepared to call if he went all in, figuring I would likely be in a coin-flip. I didn’t know what to think when he only called (for half his stack) instead of pushing, and decided I would put him all in on any ragged flop.

Should I have just pushed preflop?

Any comments will be appreciated.

edit - sorry about the messed up action, the converter didn't like having no SB (last hand's BB busted out), I think I've fixed it all of it now.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Re: ($11) 5\'s in BB nearing bubble

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: No SB. Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of t150.
UTG calls t150, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, UTG calls t450.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

If you're going to raise, you should (almost) always push when you have less than 10 BB OR when your only opponent has less than 10 BB.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:54 PM

Just check preflop. Your action is all skewed as well, you have you as BB raising, then BB calling, when I imagine you to mean UTG called. I don't like your line here unless UTG is a right donktastic muppet.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:59 PM

I posted but misread the stack sizes.

I would just check and take it from there. There is no need to blow off half of your stack if he has a real hand.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the comments.

I've only been playing SNG's for about a month, and feel that I've been weak-tight near/on the bubble. But I can see that a small PP might not be the best time to try to be aggressive when UTG's call means he probably has a hand.