Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2005, 09:03 PM

Default those silly sets

i have been on a set drought for the last week and well 2day that all came to an end, couple of questionable hands please review.
hand 1
read on villain is he is the normal short stack idiot and commands no respect. aside from that ive only played 40 hands with him and haven't seen anything special and have no notes
6-max .5 bb
hero (91.40)
villain (19.50)
villain calls .5
hero calls .5 with (88)
button calls .5
sb completes
bb checks
flop (2.5)10d6s8d
sb checks, bb checks, villain checks, hero bets 2.5,button folds, sb folds, bb folds, villain donkbets 5, hero pushes 19 total, villain calls
turn (40.5)9c
river 9s

i guess im wondering if my push was the most tactful play at that point, i put him on a set and thought this was the best spot to get the money in. does anyone slow down to min raise or just keep on blastin?

hand 2
another short stack this is actually this guys first hand so whatever i flop a set i push, maybe im a simpleton
6-max .5blind
hero (110.55)
villain (25)
hero utg with 33 i call .5
1 fold
button calls .5
sb completes
villain checks
flop (2)3h2c4s
sb checks, bb bets 2, hero raises to 8, button folds, bb folds, bb goes all-in for another 16.5, hero calls
turn (51) Js
river Ks

im really not sure about this call but i really thought a straight would check the flop hence i gave him credit for 2 pair or a pair+draw. does anyone else call this.

side note:this isnt a bad beat post i won both of these hands and hit 4 more boring sets in and hour and a half and won those too. im just looking for insight on raising these hands preflop, and if my lines are the best way to get the money in and protect my hand. i haven't had much experiece with sets for the last week so i was kinda shell shocked.
ps sorry if this is hard to read cant get converter to work and am jumping back and forth between hand history and post.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Re: those silly sets

oh come on are these really standard hands? no one think i overplayed my set in either of them, i only posted because i thought that i got really lucky to come out on top in both of these given these coordinated boards.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:00 PM

Default Re: those silly sets

Hand #1 = standard. Tactful, schmactful.

Hand #2 = maybe a straight, but you still have 7 outs on the turn and then 10 outs on the river to make a boat. So, your going to improve 1/3 of the time anyway when seeing 2 more cards. I don't know that you can be convinced enough that he has a straight to lay this down. Standard call, IMO.