Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2004, 01:19 AM

Default Big Blind Shenanigans

Opponent in the hand was typical, not too loose, not too aggressive. I'm questioning pretty much every street, and can't make heads or tails of it, except in reflection I hate the turn call ... blah. My green poker thumb's showing ...

Ultimate Bet 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">8 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks,

Flop: (2 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 8 BB, between SB and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by SB (8 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows 7h 9c (two pair, nines and sevens).
Hero shows Kd 8h (one pair, kings).
Outcome: SB wins 8 BB. </font>
Old 06-29-2004, 02:15 AM

Default Re: Big Blind Shenanigans

Hey antidan444,
I would raise this pf and bet/raise the flop whatever came. The way you played it, I think you can safely fold the turn.

-Jaran
Old 06-29-2004, 03:15 AM

Check the option. Raising here gets you nothing, and as it stands, you have nothing.

I don't understand the raising war on the flop. Your nothing PF hand has "improved" to a non-nut gutshot and an overcard.

What is the purpose of the turn call?

The river call was the only thing done right in this hand.

I would quit trying to get fancy heads-up in the blinds at these levels, against unknown players. At these levels, if someone bets out in a situation like this, they have something. Trying to move them off of it will only cost you money in the long run.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand the raising war on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising for a free card in a HU situation with a gutshot and an overcard doesn't seem too bad to me. This 1 extra sb now may get you a free river card. As it played out I'd fold the turn for sure.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:39 AM

Well you can't fold on the turn after picking up the flush draw as it's safe to assume that SB has paired at least one of his cards, meaning there's a bit larger than 75% chance that he is heartless.
You have a little bit of a hand on the flop but against non-aggressive players you could still just fold right there. It's a nothing pot really, and you have position on this guy, so wait until you flop a better hand like a pair or at least an 8 out draw before getting into raising wars.
Consider raising preflop.