View Single Post
Old 10-16-2005, 09:01 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: Pentium 4 vs. AMD 64

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Stay away from VIA or SIS chipsets if you can, these are "value" chipsets. That may be why the guy above complained about AMD systems doing weird things. Computer problems can be caused by SO many different factors (cheap and unstable Power supplies are often a leading cause, since so much emphasis is placed on the other components that you wind up with a "400w" power supply that might cost 12 bucks)...

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course, this is true with Intel processors as well. Using AMD CPU's, I stay with Tyan boards. I have several servers that have been running uninterrupted for 2-3 years now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have any experience with Tyan, and I don't think the OP was interested in a server.

I have good experiences with:

Intel
Gigabyte
MSI

Some people really love Asus and A-bit, although they're usually more for "enthusiasts" who are overclocking. MSI has decent overclocking and stability in my history with them.

I believe with Intel boards you want an Intel chipset (as opposed to Via or SIS) and with AMD chipsets you'd be looking for the Nforce chipset.