View Single Post
Old 10-05-2005, 11:13 PM

Default Re: Fluctuation probablities?

OK, I originally asked the question in BB terms. But I think that has everyone on the wrong track.

Suppose there were no money in the game...

Now consider a coil flip. The idealized average is one win, one loss... back and forth, back and forth. But in reality it has a bell curve.

Taking the dice example again, the "any 7" bet, idealized is 5 losses, 1 win. So you see 5 downs and 1 up.

So what is the nature of poker in this sort of way, and then how does that translate when the money is added in?

Should I expect long down drafts with a few big pots bringing me back a profit? Should I expect to grind upwards slowly and then have an occasional massive down draft? Is it 50/50?

Getting back to poker, chasing only flushes would have a several down, one up character. True?

So what character does the game as a whole have?

See what I mean?

Surely some math wizard has looked at this the same as the coin tosses and dice have been?

And beyond that, has it been quantified in some way that makes it possible to grasp what to expect?

Clearly a "many up, few down" character is better for paying the bills as you're more likely to be in the black at any given moment. LOL!