View Single Post
Old 07-17-2005, 06:56 AM

Default Re: Ridiculous level 1 preflop raise. Do you like my push?

In my experience at the 22's, a raise like that almost always means AK, and occasionally a mid pp like 55-99. I usually fold 10's here unless I'm desperate or I have notes on the person and they are a super donk.

Just about an hour ago I was playing a 22 and had someone raise to 225 first hand utg lvl 1, everyone folded and he showed 55. Usually though, it's AK from someone who can't play postflop and is just hoping to take the blinds down. And a little bit of advice, these people rarely if ever fold after this big of a raise preflop.

If I have QQ and am pretty sure they have AK after a raise like this, I'll often call when in position and if no K or A flops I'll call the all in when they inevitably push on the flop. They can't get away from the nut high after making that big of a preflop raise, and with no A or K on the flop I'm now a huge favorite instead of a coinflip preflop. I've only done this a few times against those I have notes on that do this routinely, but so far it's worked amazingly well.