View Single Post
Old 11-27-2001, 02:48 PM

Default Just A Point About T.J\'s Championship No limit

I just finished reading Championship No limit and

pot limit holdem by T.J. Cloutier/ Tom McEvoy.

As a tournament player T.J.'s great, but as an author he leaves a lot to be desired.

Case in point: 93 world series

The table is three handed:

Jim bechtel has the puck with approx T-1,000,000

John Bonnettti has the small blind with approx 900,000

Jim Cozen has the big blind approx 90,000

Ok Jim Bechtel is first to act on the puck and

puts in a small raise, both Bonnetti and Cozen call the raise.

The flop comes and bonnetti decides to go for a check raise, Cozen also checks, and Bechtel bets.

Now Bonnetti raises; Cozen folds and Bechtel calls.

On the turn Bonnetti puts himself all in.

Thats what happened and no one can dispute it.

Here's T.J.'s account

"At the final table of the 1993 world series of poker, John Bonnetti, Jim Bechtel, and Jim Cozen

were playing three-handed at the final table.

Bonnetti raised before the flop with AK and Cozen

folded. Playing three handed Bechtel did what he was supposed to do: He called with pocket sixes. The flop came with a six and a king in it. Bonnetti bet and Bechtel flat called him.

If you know your players the flat call in this situation is the single biggest signal in the world. Jim Bechtel is a great player, and I know he plays all his big hands from behind....

He lets you get yourself involved before he does

anything. His hands are weaker when he is leading

than when he is check calling. The worst hand he could have had in this situation is a tie hand, an AK.

Phil Hellmuth and I were watching the action on the Tv monitor when this hand came up, and when

Bonnetti bet and Bechtel just called, I said to Phil, "Bonnetti had better shut down right now."

But he didn't. He moved his whole stack in on the turn. Bechtel won the hand, of course and Bonnetti

came third to Cozen."

The only part T.J. got right on how this hand was played is that Bonnetti did put himself all in on

the turn.

How could T.J. get it so wrong? Is this conscientious writing?

Furthermore, throughout the book we are informed of T.J.'s legendary photographic memory and his powers of observation. He even said if, "a wing fell off a gnat at the end of the table (he'd) notice." (too bad he's not watching the game :->)

After reading this book one is left feeling they

just got rivered out of $39.95

While i'm venting let me add a another point:

Even a rank novice knows 78 suited is a better hand than 78 unsuited. (Can someone explain this to T.J.?)

Go Get em

Ice Rock