Thread: Golf Question
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2002, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Golf Question

Slope and rating indicate how difficult a course is for handicap purposes. I don't know how the rating is done exactly, but length, hazards, etc... are factored in. Slope and rating allow the USGA or state organizations to run your scores through a bunch of equations and give you a handicap index. Your index then can be compared to a courses' rating and slope to see how many shots you get on a particular course. The higher the slope and rating, the harder the course. Check out the USGA website for more details. Sometimes there are articles about it too. There's a lot of math lurking in the process that I don't know enough about to explain. For handicap purposes you also have to adjust scores for what's called "equitable stroke control". This means you may not be allowed to have a bunch of quads on your card for handicap purposes. It depends on your handicap though. I think I am limited to claiming 7 strokes on a hole for handicap purposes. Next time you are at a course, read the posters and stuff they might have near the handicap computer terminal.

Nice playing BTW.