View Single Post
Old 03-15-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Is my plan feasible?

10% may be a little optimistic. I think you can project 8-9% for a diversified portfolio. These numbers are over a long (25-30 year) timeframe. The market can be anywhere in a couple of years, and there are no guarantees that the market will go up even over a 10 year period. 8-9% may even be a little optimistic.

If I were you, I'd pick up the Malkiel, Bogle, and Bernstein books (check out the books thread), and read those through. They are pretty persuasive. You will see the way of the index funds.

Things are going to be a little bit more difficult for you, as the investments won't be tax-sheltered. Large-cap domestic stock funds are usually pretty tax efficient, but international and small-cap funds can get dicey. Bond and REIT funds generate a lot of tax liability.

A simple starter portfolio (vanguard funds):
Something like 60% in the Total Stock Market (TSM) fund
20% Tax-managed international
20% in tax-exempt bonds

You couldn't really retire comfortably on 750k. Assuming 9% return (once again, a little optimistic), and 3% inflation, you would be able to withdraw 45k (in less valuable 2015 dollars) per year. This assumes no withdrawl of principal, but I think the real number would be very close to that.

I'd put the "Fukc you" retirement level at about 1.5-2M in todays dollars.