View Single Post
Old 06-02-2004, 01:00 PM

Default Part 2

WSOP CROWD SURGE - Thursday May 20th, the crowds just exploded at the Horseshoe. There had been a few more people on the Wednesday, but by Thursday it was jam packed. Everything was full, but the Supers especially. they even had to shut off the $50 one table Sats into the Supers. I think about an extra 2000 young guys came to town on Thursday and all were gonna enter a Super and then win their way into the Main Event and be on TV.

LAUGHLIN (YAWN) - Told my buddy it was something he should see and that it was on the way to LA. Both statements are wrong. Had called ahead for the poker room rate of $15, but it had not been coordinated so we had to pay the full rate of $22. I think you get a buffet and a boat ride with the full fee. Several of the properties had (mostly empty) poker rooms with only one table going. Game at many was 2-6 holdem. Riverside had 3-6. Belle had many tables going and their game was 2-5 with a kill, so we played there. Asked about Felicia Lee, and the floorman almost took a swing at me.
I was in Laughlin once before in 1991. The properties are still big and nice and the river is still an attraction; but the area seems to have gone downmarket.

CALIFORNIA OR BUST - Another scenic drive thru Victorville and Barstow. Commerce hotel is a great facility with an $89 poker rate. Commerce had 6-12, 9-18, 15-30 and up. Bike had 6-12, 8-16, 10-20 and up. Conventional wisdom is that California players are wild and crazy. Now I know - ITS ALL TRUE. "Gamble, gamble, gamble!" Players gleefully flinging their chips at the pot. Seriously, one table I went into and folded the first hand while the other 8 all called. The next hand the same thing--all are in except me. I see a couple of them look at me like; he doesn't know how to play this game. The dealers do not pile the chips into a mound in the center either. By the river the table looks like a sea of chips spread out all over. The chips are all the wrong colors too.
Got to meet Rick Neb(however-youpronounceit)iolo and the beautiful "E". Rick and I in the same 10-20 game and neither plays a hand - very exciting.

FAVORITE POKER ROOMS -
1. Mirage. Still the best overall setting.
2. Mandalay. Beautiful, usually good games, saw 10-20 on weekends, too bad they still have smoking.
3. Bellagio. Wow, their 8-16 and 15-30 is good sometimes. Lists are way too long, too noisy, too cramped. Biggest games and names up on the deck though.
4. Golden Nugget. I liked the new room. Very spacious and everything new. Good games, good floorstaff. Inexperienced dealers though.

See you next year, Vegas guys.