View Single Post
Old 03-16-2004, 11:33 PM

Default Re: ring game player converting

Hi umd,

I wouldn't call myself a "SNG expert," but here's my take on your questions:

[ QUOTE ]
1)when do sng's start getting difficult? is 10+1 much harder than 5+1? paying 20% in fees is just absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never played at Party, but what I've read here (from those who do) suggests there's no appreciable difference in level of play between the $6 and $11 tourneys. Given that, if you have the bankroll to cover the $11s (see below), I'd say it only makes sense play at $11 and halve the vig.

[ QUOTE ]
2)what bankroll do you recommend in terms of buy-ins? is 50 enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

For one-table NL SNGs, 20-30 buy-ins is usually adequate.

[ QUOTE ]
3)what win rate can i expect if i ever attain expert status at 10+1? what about very good, but not expert?

[/ QUOTE ]

For the lower buy-in one-table NL SNGs, the better players here seem to aim for 40-50% in the money, over a very long term (300+ SNGs).

[ QUOTE ]
4)is nl or limit more profitable? i have played a few 5+1 nl the last couple days, and the play was just terrible. i suck at nl, but i placed in every tourney i entered.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you'll have more consistency at NL, because you can more easily protect your hands, and punish your opponents' mistakes more severely.

[ QUOTE ]
5)if you have any general advice, please lay it on me. thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I've never played at Party, but from what I'm told, the best strategy there is to play very tight early on, and let the maniacs bust each other ... without taking you out with them. Play your strong hands aggressively, and don't waste a lot of time bluffing (early) because you will run into too many calling stations. (On the other hand, those same calling stations will pay off your big hands.) As the blinds get bigger, and the field thins out, you can start to play a bit more creatively. But solid, aggressive, ABC poker is what wins at these levels.

Cris