View Single Post
Old 01-31-2004, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Ace-rag short-handed, to call or not to call?

Cris,
I agree with Jon. Online players way too often double or even triple up the short stack by calling all-ins with Ax or worse. In fact it happens with such regularity that I have had SNG's where I don't catch any cards for almost and hour, but know that if I catch something, I'll likely get doubled up. I had one SNG recently where the first hand I won was hand 46 when I was down to the final 4 and only had 250 out of 10,000 in play...35 hands later I won it b/c a couple bigstacks were willing to make all-in calls with garbage hands (ie. 95o, Q7o, etc...)and helped me build a workable stack. It actually takes a lot of pressure off of good players because its not a huge concern if they are severely out chipped with 4-5 left because all it takes is one hand and they know they'll get a call or two.
Its different if the all-in is made b/c the BB is coming and it will put the person in anyway, but when someone has enough chips that doubling them up makes them a force in the tourney, why not let them steal the blind and take them out in a couple hands when the blinds hit them again? Once a good player gets his hands on some chips, he can use them much more effectively than the weaker players at the table. Im sure you've been able to frequently roll over tables once you have the chip lead.
There are times to make the call and times not to. Remember, even desperate all-ins are allowed to have good cards. Make them earn it, don't give it away for free.
Ash