View Single Post
Old 01-31-2004, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Ace-rag short-handed, to call or not to call?

Cris,

Its an interesting question I think (and one that I was going to post!)

I don't think it neccesarily depends on your chip lead, but more on the size the stack that has pushed all in, relative to the total number of chips in play.

If they are pushing in with less than 7-8% of the total chips in play then I call with Ax (x being 5 or above). I think you have to be wary of doubling an opponent up, where they can then get within touching distance of my chips.

EG normal 1 table Stars satellite has 13,500 chips in play. If we are down to 4 and the player pushing in has less than T1000 then i call with AJ, A6, Ak etc If they have 1000-1500 then I have to have lot better hand, as I am giving them a realistic chance of winning the tournament (I would prob only call with AK or AQ - AJ tenously)

I do think, that one of the biggest leaks in a lot of online players games, is doubling people up too easily at the end of tournaments. I know that at times it is appropriate to call with any two cards, but you see it far too often in online play - its amazing how many times I have seen the short stack in 4th place win the tourney as people have doubled them up twice in quick successio with poor calls.

Jon