View Single Post
Old 01-12-2002, 12:41 PM

Default Browns vs Oilers.. last game of the season

circa 1985... the Browns need to win to be a wild card, the oilers are already in...

first pro game my wife has ever seen (i am a transplanted hillbilly, SHE is the REAL deal)...

anyways, in the nosebleed seats of the dawg pound with, stadium packed, must win to be in the playoffs, about 10 degrees, wind chill -10 or so...

down by a couple touchdowns at the half, 3rd quarter starts and it starts to snow, and seems to get a little warmer (could of been the whiskey, heh)... things start going the browns way, it keeps snowing, and the whole stadium seems to take on a magical mystical feeling (could of been something else, heh, just kidding, heh, not, heh, seriously, i was sober)...

well the browns take the lead, woohoo, but the oilers are driving into field goal range late in the game... warren moon drops back to pass and is sacked by a couple browns out of field goal range and 88,000 fans go completely bonkers....moon doesn't get up, more screaming, couple minutes more, moon still doesn't get up, and the crowd is ROARING, and then i had a feeling what it must of been like in the old roman gladiator days...here moon looked like he was dead for goodness sakes but to these fans all is fair in love or war i guess.i mean dang, i want to win the game and all but jeesh i don't want to see anyone seriously hurt and couldn't believe the crowd was rejoicing with such fervor...

...anyways, we won the game, made the play-offs, but had to play the oilers again the next week on their turf.moon recovered nicely during said week and kicked our butts....

but the wife and i saw a hell of a game...

i think i was 7 or so when Jim Brown retired at his peak and broke a lot of hearts...

I got to see lou groza and leroy kelley play, and paul warfield, before he was traded to miami, man that cat moved like a gazelle running his routes...

also got to see alot of kardiac kids games, and was at the rock crusher when sipe thru the interception at the goal line against oakland when all he had to do was kick the field goal and win the game... brutal loss