View Single Post
Old 09-10-2001, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Baseball is a joke: Bonds hits 3 homers.

I don't think there is a huge sentiment for Bonds, who many people hate, to break a record held by McGwire, who most people love.

I'd say there is zero chance that the pitchers are in on it. Pitchers get no satisfaction out of helping people to home run records. Their play determines next year's salary. Scott Elarton gave up two home runs to Bonds yesterday. His era was already so high that he might not be able to find a job next year. I'm pretty sure he's not interested in sacrificing a paycheck for next year so that a pompous ass can break a record. The other home run was given up by Todd Belitz, a rookie who was pitching in his first game. Giving up home runs isn't the way to get to the big leagues, so there is zero chance that he was grooving pitches for Bonds. If anything, he would be overzealous in trying to strike him out.

If doubt they're grooving pitchers per managers instructions either. First, they walked Bonds four times in the 3 game series, and didn't give up a Home run to him until the 3rd game. And the manager, Buddy Bell, got ejected in the first inning along with the hitting coach for arguing balls and strikes. That sure doesn't sound like people who would be trying to throw home runs to Bonds.