View Single Post
Old 05-14-2003, 03:36 PM

Default Suited connectors, max stretch

Here are some basic probabilities about max suited connectors. Some of these probabilities are useful, and some are useless - - - to me. Other people consider all these probabilities as absolutely vital to have and to learn. Live and let live.

The probability of being dealt any connectors is <font color="red">15.7%</font color>

The connectors with the maximum Straight stretch both ways are the max connectors. There are 7 starting hands as such : 45 , 56 , 67 , 78 , 89 , 9T and TJ.

The probability of being dealt max connectors is <font color="red">8.5%</font color>

Warning: When the connectors are suited, the player is legally obliged to see the flop (or at least that's how it feels).

The probability of being dealt any suited connectors is <font color="red">5.4%</font color>

The probability of being dealt max suited connectors is <font color="red">2.1%</font color>

[Aside : The reason I'm posting this, is mostly to clarify something that was misconstrued in a thread down below about drawing to a JhTh. The original question got lost in the soap opera buffoonery between yours truly and BruceZ, so this is my lame attempt at clarification , plus atonement. Who said nothing good comes out of war?..]

Having being dealt a max suited connector, such as JhTh, the probability of flopping

a Flush is <font color="red">0.84%</font color>
a Straight is <font color="red">1.3%</font color>
(there are 4 such flops in all, ie 789;89T;9QK; QKA)
a Straight or a Flush is <font color="red">2.1%</font color>

Now, onto the draws. Holding a max suited connector, the probability of flopping

a 4-Flush draw, including the Straight-flopping combinations and also including those combinations which flop both a 4-Flush draw and Straight draws, is <font color="red">11%</font color>
(or, more precisely, for all you tedium-lovers out there, 10.94387755102040%, but I'll call that 11% if you don't mind [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] )

a 4-Flush draw, excluding the Straight-flopping combinations, but including those combinations which flop both a 4-Flush draw and Straight draws, is <font color="red">10.8%</font color> (or, blah blah, 10.76020408163265%)

a 4-Flush draw, excluding the Straight-flopping combinations, and excluding those combinations which flop both a 4-Flush draw and Straight draws, is <font color="red">7%</font color> (or 6.94897959183673%) [btw, I think this is the probability the original question in that thread was all about, but, if not, my apologies]

a 4-Flush draw or an 8-outs Straight draw, excluding the Straight-flopping combinations, and excluding those combinations which flop both a 4-Flush draw and Straight draws, is <font color="red">16%</font color>

a 4-Flush draw and a 6-outs Straight draw, is <font color="red">1.2%</font color>

a 4-Flush draw and a 3-outs Straight draw, is <font color="red">2.6%</font color>

a 4-Flush draw and ANY Straight draw, is <font color="red">3.8%</font color>
[So you noticed I stopped providing those long decimals, haven't you? It's because my Excel broke down.]

Having flopped something from the above, the probability of completing with Turn &amp; River to come

the Flush draw is <font color="red">35%</font color>
the 8-outs Straight draw is <font color="red">31.5%</font color>
the 4-Flush &amp; 6-outs Straight draw is <font color="red">54.1%</font color>
the 4-Flush &amp; 3-outs Straight draw is <font color="red">45%</font color>

That's about it. I'll welcome any corrections, because I might even made a typo or been wrong somewhere. In any case, I realize that this post might be pre-emptying lots of other posts that could've been made instead by this website's long-suffering and unappreciated teachers. What can I say, bandwidth is expensive [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]