Thread: DSL ?
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Re: DSL ?

A USB connection isn't necessarily any better or worse than ethernet. Ethernet (sounds like yours if the jacks look like big phone jacks) is a much more mature transmission technology which makes me consider a possible driver issue with a USB connection. Sounds like you don't need to consider that.

If most of these have already been checked, and assuming the transceiver doesn't turn out to be the problem (have to say it's likely it isn't), then unfortunately you may be stuck with a/some configuration issue(s) with your computer and I can't really help there since I don't use windows. If the phone company set everything up for you I'm a little mystified they weren't able to confirm the set up before bailing on you.

One thing I didn't ask is have you unplugged EVERYTHING from the transceiver (making good notes on what's plugged in where) including the power converter? If you haven't, turn your computer and transceiver off and do just that. Let it sit for 10-20 mins. Plug everything back in, wait for the flashing light on the transceiver to go out then start your computer and see if anything improves.

My only other suggestion would be to find a forum that deals with windows, DSL, configurations and the like. If you describe your problem accurately I'd be hopeful you'll get more precise help.

Mike