View Single Post
Old 01-30-2004, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Having a great day today, but made one very questionable decision

Thanks for the replies,

Stoneii makes a real interesting observation about when this happened. I was about 3/4 of the way through that run and I was starting to believe my press clippings! I must be a freaking genius! I am surely the best player on the planet after such a run, therefore my judgement must be infallible!
The thing is, before I made the play I typed a comment about it being a dubious play. Why make a dubious play....? Arrogance starts slipping into your game. You somehow lose respect for the game and your opponents when you are running that well. In essence, your game starts springing leaks all over the place.
In a wierd sense, it was probably "good" that I made that play because it snapped me back into reality.
Another thought along these lines was about a post I made (I think it was my 1st. one) where I finished out of the money 21 straight times. I was so frustrated! I couldn't beleive how many beats and bad beats occurred during that streak. I was all over the place in my decision making after 6-7 in a row out of the $$. I went something like this: 1st. the chasing. The cards have to turn sometime right? I will play for one more card and see what happens. Of course, I have forgotten how to play poker by then (no reading players, situations, just focusing on THE CARDS). 2nd. the shell. After chasing didn't work, I decided to become the "Rock of Gibralter" If anything, this was even worse because I finished 4th a few times during this stretch. 3rd. Despair. I started feeling very sorry for myself. I started whining about the losing streak to other players. This just got me labeled a whiner and did not improve my game. I am not sure how I was playing during this period... only that I shouldn't be playing. Finally, a kind player gave me some advice. He asked me a question (are you making good decisions during your losing streak?) and made a suggestion that I call it a day until I could look at things more clearly.
Sorry for this long dump, but I think it helps me and everybody eles to hear this stuff repeatedly. If you make good decisions consistently the results come. Cris made this long run observation in the Humble Pie thread and it is so true.
So, I should enjoy my great streak, but realize, you can't ever get complacent. The competition is just too tough.

Pitcher