View Single Post
Old 01-21-2005, 12:49 PM

Default Re: i want to buy gold and invest in it !

[ QUOTE ]
you are too late to the party

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you know we're at the beginning of the collapse of the fiat currency system? All those dollar bills are nothing but paper promises backed by a corrupt government! plus the Rothschild conspiracy to hold down the price of gold is being pushed to the brink by the recent run-up. Gold shorts are heading for the hills!

</sarcasm>

Sorry, I just had to get that out. I'm invested somewhat in silver, due to its favorable supply/demand situation. The BBs that talk about precious metals are filled with this kind of crap.

Honestly, gold is not that great an investment. If you're concerned about dollar depreciation, buy a foreign bond fund or foreign small-cap equity fund. That way you have money that's not in dollars but can still earn interest or dividends or capital gains. As opposed to gold, which just sits there and soaks up storage fees.

If you are dead set on precious metals, consider silver. Each year, 50-100 million oz. more are used than are produced, with the excess coming from above-ground stockpiles. There's no great data on the size of these stockpiles (a lot of it appears to be owned by the Chinese government, which is not very transparent), reasonable estimates suggest these stockpiles will be exhausted in 4-8 years at these consumption rates. If/when this happens, the price must increase dramatically to stimulate further production and recycling.