View Single Post
Old 11-30-2004, 04:00 AM

Default Starting hands, hold em

Okay, before you come with your sarcastic comments, I know this is totally pointless.

The other day I was trying to calculate how many different starting hands there were.
I'm thinking about all the different combinations A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for instance would be two different hands.

Before I thought there would be 2704 different ones (52*52), but it seems I was mistaken.

I haven't studied math since highschool, and I did it on the back of a receipt, so I'm not sure I got it right.

Anyway my results were 1326 different combinations, which seems right since there are 6 different combinations in suits with pocket pairs ([img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) And we know that we are dealt AA 1/220. 6*220 gives 1320 which is close to the number I came up with.

Is this right?

-aron