Thread: What to do?
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2004, 12:02 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!
Default What to do?

I was playing in a play-money limit SNG at Party last night (I'm practicing and plan to be moving up to the $11 SNGs shortly, and higher as I get better, I hope). We were down to the last 5 players, and the guy immediately to my right began raising every single time the action came to him. It didn't seem to matter what his cards were. A few times, he got burned, but more often, everyone folded to him and he started taking over the lead. I tried to lay back and wait for good cards, but I got QQ in the pocket, started raising and capping, and at the end, he turned over AKo and rivered a pair of Ks. Soon after that, I busted out in 4th place, someone who'd left the table ended up in 2nd, and the maniac ended up 3rd (he lost a ton of chips to the 1st place finisher on a couple of hands, and his strategy collapsed on him after I busted out).

But I still have no idea what I should have done about him. Should I have gone into post-check-fold mode? That seemed to work for the guy who ended up 2nd.... Something else?

Now, granted, this was play money, but I figure that I'll run into similar players at the low-cost tables, and would like to have some idea what to do.

Thanks,
Mike