View Single Post
Old 04-08-2002, 02:11 AM

Default Re: Game Selection

Does he really know what a strong game is? I talk to a lot of people from CA whenever I play here in Vegas and they talk like most Vegas games are tough to beat. They are equating small pot games as tough to beat, something most know isn't necessarily true. I think I make the most money playing in these rock-gardens we see around here in 10-20 and 20-40, while I only hold my own in the action weekend games that sometimes are seen here or when I go down to play in Oceanside. I have heard this whole "make myself better" argument but I think one has to have a goal in playing these games, not simply to "absorb". He/she must know what makes the game tough, such as player A & B are very aggressive and I want to learn how to improve my aggressiveness or player C is very tricky and I want to learn how to handle such a player in my regular game. Most of the people I talk poker with around here do try bigger and tougher games with the attitude of I want to learn something, but it seems to me what they usually learn is how to function with a lighter bankroll. Even worse almost everyone tries to do it by stepping up to a bigger limit! Foolish I say, go down to a smaller game and just test things out. Even if the best players won't be there, they probably aren't in your game all that much either. Going out of your way to take them on in the hopes that something rubs off on you is crazy. Occasionally they might venture into your game and you can try to learn something from them on your terms, at your limit and game. Don't try to learn something on their terms, that is backward thinking.