View Single Post
Old 10-31-2005, 04:30 PM

Default Re: linksys WRT54G router

[ QUOTE ]
i just got this router... i set it all up and i can see the access point... using network stumbler to check for it. however, when i try to connect i cannot obtain an ip (i guess dhcp times out, get a 169.x.x.x ip address). i turned off dhcp and assigned my own ip.... tried to connect. still fails. baaaaaaaah.

ideas? i am about 5 seconds away from smashing this router... if i do smash it, which router should i replace it with?

-ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

I just installed the same router myself this weekend and I was having the exact same problem. I have one computer in my office wired to the router and then my notebook connected wirelessly.

I finally called their support and on the second call the problem was solved.

Call 1 - flash the firmware. This helped briefly but within an hour I was back to limited connectivity.

Call 2 - From a wired computer connect to the router via your browser. On the setup page you will see an entry for MTU, select "Manual". In the box below labeled SIZE enter 1428.
I also changed my security to WEP 64k.

This seems to have taken care of the problem. I was on the verge of returning this router but their support was actually useful and able to prevent a violent case of routercide.

Good Luck