View Single Post
Old 11-24-2004, 09:13 AM

Default Re: Building a DVD collection update 1

The ending of The Recruit seemed very stagey and unlikely to me. I find it hard to believe you would put it that much higher than Jackie Brown. Then again, I found the ending of Jackie Brown stagey and unlikely too, but it had so much more going for it. The Recruit was much more dependent on the "tricks" coming into line to make it an interesting movie, so their failure dragged the movie down quite a notch for me. The movie never really felt credible and the ending just exaggerated that.

Predator seems extremely over-rated. You must have a die-hard love of action movies completely overwhelming your judgment.

I'll agree on Braveheart.

I liked Office Space a ton...but wish I would have laughed more.

Haven't seen the rest, but it looks like you have a serious need to see some really good movies. Most of what you've picked seems unexceptional and extremely recent, and very much like a flavor-of-the-minute, almost like what a video store would put as an eye-catching promo at the end of an aisle. You need some solid classics in there, that are really labors of love and bear watching over and over. Especially as you're bound and determined to watch them over and over regardless of how you feel about them once you've kept them.

Try some good "oldies" -- The Invisible Man, Bride of Frankenstein, The Godfather, The Maltese Falcon, Rebel Without a Cause, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, Seven Samurai, A Clockwork Orange. You can watch movies like that a dozen times and they're still great. Heck, they even get better the more you watch them.

Way better than haunting the "New Releases" rack.