View Single Post
Old 02-04-2004, 09:48 AM

Default 1st or 3rd - Decision to be made?

Hi All,

Down to the last 3 in a 2 table NLHE SNG on Stars.

I have T10000 and am in the SB, BB has about T3000, and my opponent in the hand (we shall call him Busted) has the rest ~T14000.

Blinds are at 400/800.

Everytime Busted has been in the SB he has min raised my big blind. I have folded most times (as I had a poor run of cards) but when I have re-raised, he has called and then the flop has missed me. Occasionally I have defended my blinds successfully and got him to fold hands pre-flop. However, i put him on any 2 cards for any raise, as each raise is a min raise.

OK in this hand, I pick up KJo in the SB. Busted in on the button and makes his usual min raise (1600). I think and then re-raise to 4800:

Reasons in re-raise this amount and not all in
1) If he comes back over the top, i can fold and still be in the competition
2) If I miss the flop, I can either bluff/ or check fold and still be in the competition (given the size of BB stack)

After thinking, Busted calls the raise. Flop comes Jack high with two diamonds. I bet all in, Busted thinks and calls and flips over AK diamonds and hits the river flush.

Is my play reasonable here? Have I made the right assumptions about this player? I obviously know that he has a hand, because of his call of the raise, however when the flop comes, I have to go all in I believe. If I win the hand, I think I win the tournament.

I don't know whether I should have folded the hand and waited for a better spot or is that becoming way too passive short handed?

Cheers Jon