Thread: Image
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2001, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Image

I think I may be one of the few 2+2 posters who often begins posts "Its about 2 hours into my session and I have a loose maniac image.."

I always say the same thing: it doesn't matter what your image is AS LONG AS YOU PLAY OPPOSITE TO THAT IMAGE. If you have a loose, bad, "tourist" image, you will be attacked more, but by weaker hands. So, as long as you are playing tightly, you will be in good shape against the attackers. If you have a rock image, you must play looser to steal more small pots because you won't be very likely to win any big ones (barring monster vs monster, and you are just as likely to lose that confrontation as your opponent).

For me, a loose and crazy table image (one that is similar to the one you describe) works reasonably well. However, it is a style that by definition will lead you to higher variance; you will be involved in bigger pots as people try to bust you or as several players play against "each other", assuming you are dead money in the pot. If you can handle the swings associated with this style (because you WILL get sucked out on, and not infrequently) and the psychological pressure of having other people targetting you, go for it. Sometimes I feed off having the table "out to get me"; sometimes I don't feel up to handling it and I leave or change how I'm playing that day.

I'd also note that if you dress or play in a very outlandish way, you are more likely to be remembered and no one will think you are a "tourist" if you are there every week. They might think you play bad, certainly, however.

You sound concerned that "the better players" are targetting you. Better players don't concern themselves with what shirt you are wearing, but only what cards you are turning over and how you are playing your hands. They often may over-focus on how you play preflop, and this is something you can certainly take advantage of IF you play well after the flop. If that's the case, what do you care who takes shots at you? I think it was Jack Strauss who said something like "one of the nice things about being a great poker player is that I don't have to know you to know that I can break you". If you think you play well, don't fear the "better players" taking shots at you. Start making them fear that YOU are taking shots at THEM.