View Single Post
Old 11-07-2003, 06:17 PM

Default standard deviation calculation and evaluation - Weitzman eqn?

Hi,

-What is the difference between the "standard textbook" standard deviation equation (<x^2>-<x>^2) vs the Mark Weitzman one that Malmuth has posted in the essay section.

-The confidence level of your ev is dependant on your sd, correct ? I am wondering if I have enough data to get meaningful results for a recent switch to a new limit. Currently I have 14k recorded hands at this limit under homogenous conditions over the run of 7 weeks. My sd/ev is less than 5 - which seems too good to be true. (sd is 16 bb/hr using Malmuth formula - I usually play shorthanded, should this matter ?)

(Anecdotally, before I moved full time to this limit and started taking records, I had a couple of bad when weeks when I mixed up my limits - "taking shot at it ?". This made me question my game. Maybe as a result of these bad experiences i'm playing more seriously and purposely, but these results seem too skewed to the +ve side. I do want to evaluate my game and not fool myself here. Can this just be fluke ?)

BTW, this is online play, so I am planning on updating my spreadsheet to calculate the sd in terms of bb/60 hands (approximately one table hour). Is this the preferred method ?

Thank you very very much. I am a little confused and really impressed by the posts I've seen in this forum.

Bubu