View Single Post
Old 08-18-2005, 06:56 AM

Default Re: *DO NOT* Calculate your bankroll requirements with this

Malmuth says in the thread you linked:

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, after many years of using my published numbers, I have found them to be very accurate (at three standard deviations).

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know pokerplayers that have played for many years that think he is wrong? And do they instead say you need twice as big bankroll as Malmuth says?

In my experience, when pokerplayers that have played for years talk about their biggest downswings Malmuths numbers are pretty ok.

If you play poker for a living, what you really want to know is how bad is an extremly bad downswing? You want to know this because

1) If u know you can lose a lot being unlucky but still playing good it makes u feel a little better when u actually loose.

2) You want to know how much money you need to have in your account when you play online.

I have played for 3 years about 700 hands/day (+700K hands). I still havent lost much more then Malmuths formulas says. And actually, 2 of those 3 times when I lost that much I didnt play really good poker so I think my winrate was lower then normal.

Isnt Malmuths numbers good for practical purposes? How often will a pokerplayer loose twice the amount Malmuth says.