View Single Post
Old 11-03-2004, 11:34 PM

Default I\'m totally confused thinking about this...non poker game problem

Okay i have a little situation I'm curious if any of you hard core math types could come up with a definite answer to, because i'm dumb and the more i think about it the worse my vision gets [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

let's say I have a game with 10 baskets.

before each game begins 10 random numbers from 0 to 999 are generated, one for each basket.

Then, each of these numbers in the set of 10 is assigned to a specific basket in a random fashion.

up to this point the number selection process is certified random.

so now i have 10 baskets, each basket assigned a random value from 0 to 999 in a random order.

to finish the game, I roll a 10 sided die. if the die lands on 1, I win the value from associated with basket 1, die shows 2, i win basket 2 etc.

simple enough.

now what if the die i rolled was not 100% fair. Let's say 40% of the time it landed showing 1 or 2, or some similar defect in the die.

is this game still random even though the die is not fair? is it possible to calculate the cycle for such a game assuming the die is honest? how is the cycle affected if the die is not honest? how are my odds of winning a specific amount affected if the die is not fair.

Thanks,

bonanz