View Single Post
Old 09-20-2004, 01:34 AM

Default Re: Sklansky\'s All In NLHE strategy?

The fold or all-in strategy is interesting and in theory wins the blinds often enough to survive and gives a reasonable chance to win in a showdown. However the strategy assumes that the other players are significantly better than you at poker and know it and hence dislike risking it all in a possible coinflip. The all-in tactic is a equalizer allowing novices to annoy pros and it is effective. However if someone knows you are playing this strategy it becomes relatively simple for someone to pick you off when you are the first one to enter the pot all-in since the strategy has you doing so on medium+ suited connectors, medium+ pocket pairs, along with: AQ AK AKs KK AA. The reason why so many hands are played all-in when you are the bring in is to ensure that you pick up enough blinds so you don't get ground down by the cost per hand. So say I had QQ on the button and I see you go all-in in middle position. I call and enjoy a 65% chance of doubling up and crippling you, or being out. Not too attractive for Johnny Chan but a pretty good shot for dead money.