View Single Post
Old 07-22-2005, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Linux and Online Poker?

I've been extremely happy with vmware (4.52 IIRC). I absolutely can't stand using windows and this is (IMO) the best alternative if you require windows programs. I run @1600 but the vmware window I normally run @800 so it takes up no more space than a GUI emailer or browser (and fits one poker table perfectly; I switch vmware to 1280 for 2 or 1600 for 4. vmware also has a fullscreen mode so I can switch back and forth between a full 1600 xp desktop and my linux desktops since nearly all window mgrs support multiple desktops/workspaces). If I could figure out what image size if best for posts I'd include a screenshot.

WINE is pretty good for some things but I've wasted an awful lot of hours trying to get different things to work over the years. For me that's the main appeal of vmware - windows programs are running natively so everything runs, and runs very well with no fussing.

There are some windows games you can run this way but others conflict with video so I left xp installed on its own partition so I can boot it when necessary. The xp I'm running in vmware for poker is actually another separate install which can only be started through vmware. I use samba so the vmware xp can talk to the hardware managed by linux (printer, DSL, the outside world, etc.).

pm me if you want. Or keep posting here so we can have a couple threads others might get some use out of...

Mike