View Single Post
Old 11-24-2004, 01:19 PM

Default Re: JJ facing an all-in on a coordinated flop

Pre-flop I would raise. You've got the 4th best possible hand but it's a tricky one to play post flop if any overcards hit. You want to try and isolate the UTG+2 raiser as much as possible. By smooth calling, you are giving odds to people behind you to make the call with more speculative hands. So I would make a pot-size raise to T200. Maybe you win the pot right then. At the very least you should get the BB to fold and maybe the MP caller.

You need to put your opponent on a range of hands. He could have 99-AA or even overcards like AK or AQ, especially if they are clubs. His flop bet just doesn't seem right for a monster hand. There is an obvious straight and flush draw on the board so you would think that if he has a monster hand he would protect it with a pot-size bet, not one that is 20% of the flop. When people make a small bet like that, I've often seen them trying to buy a card cheaply on a draw so that's a decent possibility.

If he has the AKc or AQc you are actually a little behind here. Against the range of 99-AA, AK, AQ you are a slight favorite.

It all comes down to your willingness to gamble a bit. I think you have a small edge and I'd be inclined to call and hold my breath.