View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 01:55 PM

Default Dell 9300 questions

Assuming there are going to be some great coupons out there for the quarter end, I am going to be buying one of these this month. Would appreciate some input. Unit will be used almost exclusively for Poker.

Memory 512 vs 1 gig adds about $135 list
Should I consider getting the 512 and adding memory from NewEgg? If it is a 40% coupon it will actually only cost about $80 (I think unless I save $50 it is not worth it)

Windows XP Media center ok?
I don't do any networking at the moment and my desktop has XP home on it

7200 rpm hard drive?
I don't have a need for a lot of storage however I do use PT which I understand works faster with the faster hard drive, correct? So is this a good upgrade?

Wireless
I have a cable modem and a desktop and am excited about my first opportunity of going wireless. I would like to be able take my laptop to one of my local coffee shops and use it there etc. Am also considering the verizon national broadband plan in the future (4-8 months). However I know nothing about this stuff. The price differences are negligible so whatever is recommended I will do. I guess I should get the Intel 2915 which has a/b/g technologies as opposed to the other card which only has b/g. I don't have any bluetooth accessories, should I even consider it?

Batteries
Assuming that 95% of my computing will be in my home should I just stick with the 6 cell to keep the unit as light as possible?

Port replicator
I have a desktop and a 2001 FP that I will be converting over to entirely business use. So If I want to play on my 2001 FP should I consider getting this?

Router
Should I get this from Dell? I have a 2 story home and have no idea what the differences in these things are:
Netgear WGR614 Cable/DSL Wireless Router $55
Netgear WGT624 108Mbps Wireless Firewall Router $80
Netgear WPN824 RangeMax Wireless Router $100
Netgear Wireless Router and McAfee Home Security Software Bundle $90

Thanks for any input