View Single Post
Old 05-26-2004, 03:37 PM

Default Re: Cheesiest Pickup Lines

Sadly I don't question in the slightest that these lines would work nor that you have used them.

People from the mainland (my past self included in some, but not most of these things) have an extremely distorted/ignorant view of Hawaii. People think it's some sort of fantasy land full of nothing hot women and large men where people live in grass huts and eat nothing but roast pig and pineapple (well the more thoughtful ones would likely add fish to that). Part of the problem is that the tourist industry pushes this forward and people that go on vacation and only go to Waikiki really don't know any different.

My fiance is Hawaiian and has actually been asked if they had electricity and running water. The people asking the question are being serious. If they had asked about a heater then of course the answer would be no, but that's much more understandable.

These are things I have noticed or thought:
- most people live near the beach. I thought this because where my gf's family lives (Punaluu) is right on the beach and the first time we went there we only went around to Waimea or so and into town a couple times. So basically I was only seeing the communities on Oahu that are right on the beach. The last time I went we went around to the other side a few times - to Mililani and other places that are more inland.

- most people from there are native hawaiian. I thought this until I actually met a my girlfriend. This is clearly false, and is only true in a few communities there.

- Both times I've flown out of Honolulu back to the mainland about half the people on my flight had their US passports out. I've never seen that on any other domestic flight. Tourists frequently say things like "I'm going back to the States." While I know some Hawaiians who wish that were the case it certainly isn't.

- when my girlfriend tells people she doesn't know that well where she's going for Christmas break she gets all kinds of crap. Now she just says that she's going home and hopes they don't ask where that is.

Sorry to hijack the thread.