View Single Post
Old 12-28-2003, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Poker Players - The rich man\'s statisticians? Career Change

You have my sympathies. Once the mysteries of poker reveal themselves, it becomes a very, very boring game, and a hard way to make an easy living, as they say. I would recommend a book to add to your library that isn't a poker book: "What Should I Do With My Life?", by Po Bronson.

As far as the poker goes, the person you should be talking to is bigpooch. In a B&M game, he's a HUGE FISH because he so completely and totally doesn't get that he lacks the skills needed to flourish in that arena, and his play isn't quite good enough to make up for the deficit. (Just kidding there, for the most part.)

In the online world, on the other hand, it is a completely different story. I doubt that there are many players who are better than he is at the particular games he specializes in, and the skills he lacks are 100% meaningless in online games.

As an aside, pooch, if you're reading (and I know you are), there was a post a few months back dissing Sklansky for something he did in the WSOP. He built up a big stack fairly early -- 80,000 in chips or so, then never played another hand, and let himself be anted down until he was out, collecting some $30,000 to $40,000 in prize money in the process. The exact details of that might be wrong, but the idea is enough to set up the basis for this question: would you do the same thing?

'hoof